The most dynamic tool of the business world, Quickbooks bringing ease to the financial sector through its advance and most reliable features. The user of Quickbooks can perform so many tasks at any time at their fingertips. No one can deny the fact that Quickbooks provides desired growth to so many small and medium-sized companies. As an accounting tool, it contains some vital information related to that particular business but the danger arises when some Quickbooks error appears and thus leads to the loss of the data. If you also lose your essential data vital for your business growth. Then, read the article containing Quickbooks portable file, through which you can easily resolve this matter.
Well, if you store your data in a backup file then no error can cause the loss of the files but if you do not create a backup of the files then you will definitely encounter this issue. So, it would be recommended to always have a backup of your files and data. Now, come back to the blog post and start the article with a brief knowledge of Quickbooks portable file.
What is Quickbooks Portable File?
- Quickbooks Portable File works as a replica that stores financial data which can be shared with anyone through email, and portable media like external drive and flash.
- It is an advanced way that can easily resolve the data issues as Quickbooks desktop re-indexes the data during the task of restoring the portable company file.
- You cannot find here any transaction log (*.tlg) file as it does not consist of it.
- Also, the file excludes the following things images, templates, logos, and letters.
You may also like: How To Recover Lost Data With Auto Data Recovery Quickbooks? [Guide]
Key Points to Consider
- Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, you need to keep in mind that the Quickbooks software is updated properly with the available latest release.
- In an attempt to solve the data issues, avoid all the possibilities of overwriting the original file during restoring the portable copy. The thing that you must consider before restoring the portable company file is to rename the original file.
- In order to create and return the portable replica or copy, the user needs to log in as the admin on all Quickbooks versions.
- While sharing the company file with your accountant, use the accountant’s copy.
- The person you are sharing with the copy of the portable file becomes able to modify and alter the administrator password. As the person will automatically be provided all the access to the Quickbooks.
Create a portable company file in Quickbooks
Above are the key points that you need to consider before proceeding with further steps. Now, let’s move on to the steps that will help you to create a portable copy file in Quickbooks.
- The first step that you need to do is to move towards the file menu.
- Select the create copy option.
- Navigate to the Portable company file.
- Hit on the next tab.
- Locate the file in the folder which you can easily access.
- At last, click on the Save button followed by hitting the OK tab.
You may also like: Guide to Download and Install QuickBooks Install Diagnostics Tool
Steps to Restore a Quickbooks Company file
After creating a portable company file, move on to this section where you will learn how to restore a Quickbooks Company file. In this solution, you might need a USB flash drive, CD, and hard drive because the process will be done with the help of these tools. Now, start the process with the steps given below:
- Firstly, navigate to the File menu and select Open or Restore Company.
- Select the option Restore a backup copy and then hit on the next button.
- Make a step forward by selecting Local Backup and thereon choosing the next tab.
- Choose the location of the backup file from the drop-down menu appearing on your device.
- Click on the backup file and name it.
- Go to the open tab and then hit the next button.
- You will see the Save-in drop-down, choose the restored file from there.
- Save a type field populates Quickbooks files.
- Choose the option save and read and remember to reply to the messages that appear before the starting of restoration.
You can follow this troubleshooting step to resolve the Quickbooks error 6073. This error basically occurs when the user tries to open the company file in multi-user mode.
Resolve Fed Asset Manager (FAM), Quickbooks Statement Writer (QSW), and Loan Manager (LMR)
The user becomes unable to access the information of Quickbooks Statement Writer (QSW), Fixed Asset Manager (FAM), and Loan Manager (LMR) if the portable company file is restored in some other computer where the Quickbooks company file is not located. In order to move away from these kinds of issues, the user requires to locate all the files to the computer having Quickbooks file. Go ahead to carry out the function.
1. Fixed Asset Manager
The user needs to copy the portable company file from the mentioned folder and paste it to the location given below.
2. Loan Manager
To fix the issue, replicate the .lmr file ([Company Name].lmr) to the computer where you are having your Quickbooks company file.
Ways to Fix Unable to Create a Portable Company File Problem
Way 1: Try to Work on the Sample File
- Navigate to No company open and then select Open a sample file.
- Craft the company file through the company file and then save it to your system.
- Go to the File menu and select the option close company/Logoff.
- Try to restore the portable copy of the sample file.
Way 2: Copy the Quickbooks Files on the desktop
- Go to the location where you save the file and open it.
- Select the option copy by right-clicking on the file.
- The user needs to copy the .qbw extension file/files during the process of creating the portable files and .qbm extension file/files at the time of restoring portable files.
- Move towards the desktop screen and right-click on it to select the paste option.
- At the time of clicking the Quickbooks icon. You need to press & hold the Ctrl key that will bring up the No Company open.
- At last, try to create and restore the portable files.
Way 3: Repairing QB Desktop (Windows 10, 8 & 7)
- Start the system again and close all the running programs in the system.
- Craft a backup of the company files.
- Select the start or window icon.
- Navigate to the control panel.
- Click on the program and features and then move to the Uninstall a Program.
- Moving ahead, click on the Quickbooks from the program list and thereon choose the Uninstall/Change.
- Hit on the continue and then press the next button.
- Select the option repair and then click on the next.
- End the process by clicking on the finish tab after the repair process is completed.
Way 4: Use the Clean Install Tool
- Start the process by visiting Quickbooks Tool Hub.
- Move towards the installation issues tab.
- Select the green tab named clean install tool.
- Now, the tool will start automatically. You just have to sit there and wait until the process becomes complete.
With the help of the clean install tool, you can solve the Quickbooks error the file exists.
With all the methods provided below, you can easily create a Quickbooks portable company file and save your data from getting lost. If you find this article relevant then notify us in the comment section. Still, if any of your queries left unsolved then you can contact the Quickbooks customer care team to get all the answers related to Quickbooks portable file.