Quickbooks is accounting software used by many people across the world. Its different features like tax filling, invoice, payroll, and report generation make the banking procedure more smooth. Having all these features in just one software increase its value in the market. Being an accounting software, it is used more by small and tiny businessmen and helps them look at the accuracy of the financial transaction.
But, due to some glitches and other reasons, this software shows some errors on the display. Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 is one kind of Quickbooks error. In order to find out what is Quickbooks error -6189,-816, what are the causes and solutions to fix it? you have to follow the whole article till the end as it covers all the elements that might help you resolve the issue.
What is Quickbooks error 6189 and 816?
The Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 appears on your system when you try to open a company file or Quickbooks Desktop on a multi-user network. Yet, this could be one of the reasons for Quickbooks error -6189,-816, but there are many reasons behind this error. Having this error on your system interrupts your banking procedure.
In an attempt to get rid of this error, we are here to help you. Read the reasons below that lead to Quickbooks error 6189 and 816.
Reasons Behind Quickbooks error -6189,-816
Here is the list below showing some reasons that will provide you a better understanding of why this Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 happens.
- Another user uses the same file that you want to access.
- An incomplete downloading and installation process can lead to this error. So, try to have a good Quickbooks software link for downloading and installation process
- When you try to open the file which does not get access to your permission.
- Incorrect entries in the Windows registry that happens due to the incomplete installation of Quickbooks software can cause this error.
- Virus attack can also be responsible for Quickbooks error -6189,-816 as it corrupts the Quickbooks files.
- If you do programming in recent Quickbooks, this corrupts the Windows registry and thus leads to Quickbooks error -6189.
- As, it is a multi-user mode, so if some of your clients signed it as single-user mode, it arrises the chances of this error.
- If you use an old copy of Windows then you can encounter the Quickbooks error 6189.
- There are important drivers used for running Quickbooks software, if in any chance you delete these drivers then you can have the error.
What are the symptoms of Quickbooks error 6189 816?
As, there are many Quickbooks errors like Quickbooks H202, Quickbooks runtime error, Quickbooks error 9999, and so on. Users might find it difficult to acknowledge the error appearing on their systems. So, here are some of the symptoms that really help you in acknowledging it.
- The first and easiest way to identify the error is the text contains Error 6189: Quickbooks Error Code 6189 appearing on your window.
- When you see a sudden stop in your working company files.
- If there is a loss of connection during the process then the system might have this error
- Inactively performance of the windows also creates a path for Quickbooks error 6189 816. Thus the possibility of the error increases.
- When your system becomes disable to read commands can arise the possibility of having this error 6189 816.
Through these signs of identification, you can get the idea of how to identify the Quickbooks error 6189 819 on your system. Now, move towards the solutions of Quickbooks error 6189 816.
How can you resolve Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816?
There are 9 solutions to resolve Quickbooks Error. You need to perform them one by one to eradicate the Quickbooks error -6189,-816. So, let’s move on towards the solutions start from here.
1. Use Quickbooks Tools Hub
The first solution would be Quickbooks Tools Hub as it is used to cure so many errors related to Quickbooks software. You can use this tool with these steps described below:
- Close the Quickbooks application.
- Go to the Quickbooks Tool Hub file and download it.
- Now, Save your downloaded file.
- Double click on the downloaded file and open it.
- Click on the Install button.
- When the tool is installed properly, open it with a double click.
- Select on Program Problem from the tool
- Then, go to Quick Fix my Program.
- At last, open your .QBW data file on Quickbooks Desktop.
If you still find error 6189 and 816 on your system, then move on towards the next solution.
2. Start your System again
Many users stated that restarting the system provides them a great help to escape from this error. You can also do this with the steps provided below.
- The first step you need to do is restart your server computer installed with Quickbooks software.
- Then, Go to your workstations and restart each of them.
- Come again to your workstations and system. Then, open Quickbook desktop.
These steps help you to open Quickbooks in your system but if the error still not get resolved then look at the next solution.
3. This step requires an Update of Quickbooks
Most of the time, the Quickbooks error happens because of the unavailability of its updated version. Always try to have an updated version of Quickbooks software which is new released in the market as it is up-to-date and contains many elements to fix these kinds of errors.
4. Use Quickbooks Database Server Manager
Using this tool, you can rectify Quickbooks error 6189 and 816. In order to use this tool, you have to follow the steps described below:
- Go to the Quickbooks Tools Hub then choose Network Issues.
- From there, click on the Quickbooks Database Server Manager. This leads you to install Quickbooks on your system
- Now, locate your QB files. Then, go to the Quickbooks Database Server Manager window and click on Start Scan.
- This tool helps in repairing firewall permissions that could be the reason behind this error.
- Keep in mind to click Close after the scan process is done.
- Then, go to your server computer and workstations to open the QB Desktop.
- The steps are finished, now you can have your error-free system but all these steps prove worthless if you use a multi-user network on your workstation. So, it beneficial to avoid it.
Now, moving towards the next solution if you cannot fix this error due to some reasons.
5. Rename these two files ND and TLG
Network Data File (ND) and Transaction Log File (TLG) are files that are used in multi-user networks to access a QBW file. When these files become corrupted lead the error 6189- 816-. You can rescan the files through the use of Quickbooks Database Server Manager and rename them which helps to fix the error.
Below are provided some steps that you can do to rename ND and TLG.
- Go to the folder having your files and double click on it.
- If your files and company files having the same name, saved with extensions .ND and .TLG like company_file.qbw.nd and company_file.qbw.tlg then identify them.
- After finding the files, right-click on them and then on Rename. Through the process of renaming, do not forget to add OLD at the last of each file.
- Then, move again to Quickbooks software, open it, then signing in to the file where you have your company’s financial records.
After finishing all the steps, check if you still having this error on the system.
6. Use Quickbooks Refresher Tool
Like, all other tools named above, this tool is also a great wealth to erase the Quickbooks error. Using this tool, you can erase Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 too. Read the steps below to know the working of this tool.
- The first step is to download and install the Quickbooks Refresher tool from Intuit.
- Now, place it in a safer place from where it does not get misplaced.
- Close all your work if you are doing anything on Quickbooks.
- Then, also close all Quickbooks Desktop versions on your window.
- Now go to the Quickbooks Refresher Tool and run it.
- Keep in mind to run this tool for around 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, you can now run Quickbooks once more time.
If Quickbooks still freezes and does not work properly. Then, move towards the next solution.
7. Fix the Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 manually
When all these procedures would not work for you, then, you can try to fix the errors manually with these steps:
- Look for the transaction log (.tlg) and click on Rename, then rename it.
- Go to the Quickbooks application and verify the permission under QBDataServiceUserXX.
- If your files are encrypted, then you cannot fix the error so make yourself ensure that the files are encrypted free.
- Go to Quickbooks files, copy it, and then go to the desktop folder and paste it.
- If the file cannot get opened on the desktop folder then go to the previous folder where it was positioned.
8. Use a Local Hard drive to transfer your company files
This is another way to resolve the issue of the error. Read the steps below showcasing how you can use a local hard drive to transfer your company files. So, follow the steps below to transfer the company file.
- The first step you need to do is to install Quickbooks Desktop in the window.
- Do not forget to make a backup of the company file.
- To identify the file easily, rename it. This will also avoid the chances of choosing the wrong files.
- Go to your Windows desktop and save the file that you back up, so you do not have to rush through all the folders.
- Now, with an external drive or a flash drive, you can move the company file to the new system.
- On this system, you can now restore the backup.
- Remember to use payroll as it has the latest tax table, you can open it and download it after finishing the procedure of moving the company’s file.
This solution will surely help you but if you still get failure in this attempt then try the next method given below.
9. Resolve the error by a sample company file
In order to do this solution, you have to follow these steps:
- Go to the Quickbooks application and open it in your window.
- Then search for “No Company Open window”, then go to “Open a Sample File” and click on it.
- Choose the “Random company file.”
- It will repair the installed company files.
Through all these 9 solutions, you can easily erase Quickbooks error 6189 and 816. But you just have to perform these steps calmly so that your device not get interrupted by another issue. If, in any case, you cannot resolve the Quickbooks error 6189 and 816 then dialing the Quickbooks customer care team would be a great help.