Be it a small scale or a large scale business, QuickBooks is creating its impact in its management operations. It is software that is used to manage reports, create invoices and generate tax bills in an organized way. With time, Quickbooks is leaping forward with its upgraded versions and extraordinary features. Although it is way forward in its management qualities yet it has many setbacks that arise due to the occurrence of various technical bugs, glitches, errors, and other issues.
One such type of error that you can encounter is QuickBooks Error 12031. From its definition to its reasons of occurrence and ways to resolve it is discussed thoroughly in this article. You just need to continue with your reading skills and in the next few minutes, you will get to know everything about Error 12031.
Defining Quickbooks Error Code 12031
A 12000 series error code is basically related to problems associated with updating QBs software to its upgraded version and Payroll update services. The Quickbooks update error 12031 is faced by the user in case of QBs payroll services refreshed, Updating QuickBooks, and when there is a restriction in access to the server due to timeout network issues. Also, improper and incomplete configuration setup causes the firewall and security system set up to be disrupted causing this error to occur.
Even an invalid SSL system configuration setup can cause this error to prevail in your system. This is a common error that is faced by users all around the world. This error disrupts the workflow of the user and the connection of the Quickbooks from the host server and causes the users’ operation to halt.
Reasons for Error 12031 Quickbooks Update
There can be different reasons that can cause this error to exist in your system. All these reasons have been discussed below in a nutshell.
- Weak internet connectivity can cause this error.
- Internet Explorer not being your default browser.
- Firewall blocking the proper operations of QuickBooks.
- Invalid SSL settings setup.
- Virus or Malware attack.
- Third-party antivirus is disrupting access to QBs.
- Network timeout error disables the operations in QuickBooks.
How to Resolve Error 12031 Quickbooks?
The 12031 error can be easily and quickly fixed once you go through the methods given below. These solutions can be easily followed by any user of QuickBooks.
Solution 1: Setting Up Stable Internet Connection
- Open QuickBooks on your PC and search for the help menu in the left pane of the software.
- Choose ‘Internet Connection’ Setup.
- Now you need to go to the option “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet”
- Click on the Next option and then tap on the Done option to finish the setup.
* Update your Quickbooks software to the latest upgraded version if you have not upgraded it.
Solution 2: Using QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
- Firstly, you need to download the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool.
- After a successful download, you need to install the tool by following the on-screen instructions properly.
- Now, you need to open the tool by double-clicking on the icon.
- Under the Test Connectivity tab, Select Browse and search for your company file.
- Choose your company file in which you are facing the issue.
- Select the Test Connectivity option.
- In a few minutes, your repair will be done and the error will be resolved.
Solution 3: Checking the Firewall Settings
Firewall often blocks the proper operations of QuickBooks and interrupts the download or its updating process. We need to change the Firewall permission settings to fix the issue. Follow the steps below.
- In the search box of the Start menu, type in Firewall and tap Enter.
- Now select the Windows Firewall option from the locator menu.
- Within the Firewall window, select Allow a Program or Feature option.
- After this, select the Change Setting option and a new window will come up on the screen.
- Tick the boxes that allow QuickBooks to access the Firewall option.
Solution 4: Renaming the Network Data file
- Firstly, look for the source folder of the QuickBooks company file.
- Now, you need to look out for the file name with extension as .nd (Network Data File).
- After this, right-click on the Network Data file and choose the rename option.
- Rename the file with old added at the end of the name of the file. For example comanyfilename.qbw.nd.old.
Solution 5: Updating Quickbooks
If you already have the latest upgraded version of QuickBooks, then you can jump on to some other solutions. It is evident that upgrading your Qb software causes many bugs and errors to be fixed automatically. Follow the steps below to upgrade to its latest version.
- First, you need to launch the QuickBooks software and look out for the Help Menu.
- Now, Select Update Quickbooks.
- A list will come up and you need to select the latest version from the list.
- After a successful installation, you have to restart your computer system.
Solution 6: Fixing Error With Updating Quickbooks Payroll Services
- Launch QuickBooks and look for the menu option.
- Within it, select the Internet Connection Setup.
- Now select the Internet Properties option.
- A list of tabs can be seen now and you need to select the Advanced Tab.
- After this, alter the Advanced Settings option to match your requirements and click on Apply.
- Tap on OK and the current window will be closed.
- At last, close all the Quickbooks programs and then re-open it to update the Quickbooks payroll services.
Solution 7: Downloading Quickbooks Update in Windows Safe Mode
This solution will help you to know the procedure on how to download the Quickbooks Update in Windows Safe Mode. In case of the third-party applications interfering with the update process, use this method to rectify the Quickbooks update error 12031.
- Firstly, operate your system in the Safe Mode.
- Hold the Windows + I key on the keyboard to open Settings.
- Now choose the Update & Security option and select the Recovery Settings.
- Within these Settings, look for the Advance Startup and go for the Restart Now option.
- A window will pop-up named as Choose an Option on the screen.
- Now, select the Troubleshoot option and further choose the Advanced option.
- After this, open the Startup Settings option.
- Select the Restart option and enter your Bitlocker Recovery Key.
- After this process, your computer system will be restarted automatically and a list of options will appear.
- You need to select option number 4 and press F4 to start the PC in the Safe Mode
- In case you use the Internet, select number 5 or press F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
- After following all the steps, you need to download the Quickbooks update.
- If you have completed the update process, then you can switch back to using Normal Mode.
Solution 8: Ceasing Third-Party Applications
Third-party applications refer to the antivirus that tends to disrupt the operations in Quickbooks. It happens due to antivirus considering the general functions of QBs as malicious. So, you need to disable the third-party application else you can also uninstall it to rectify the error.
Solution 9: Configuring SSL AND TLS
The configuration settings of SSL and TLS are very important for the connectivity of Quickbooks.
- Firstly, you need to open Internet Explorer.
- Then select Internet options.
- On the upper pane, Reach out for the Advanced tab.
- Now, you can modify the SSL and TLS settings and press OK.
Solution 10: Using Windows Update
When you update your Windows operating system, then the technical errors, bugs and other glitches are automatically resolved and fixed without any further processes needed. So, It is advised to every user to update their Windows from time to time.
The Quickbooks update error 12031 is faced by the user in case of QBs payroll services refreshed, Updating QuickBooks, and when there is a restriction in access to the server due to timeout network issues. We have tried our best to provide you the Go-to solutions to resolve this update error and hope to help you in the best way possible. Still, this error exists in your system, then you need to take guidance from the QuickBooks Support team that is available 24 x 7 anywhere in the world.